So I was wandering around wordpress and there was a “Hawt Post” about how bloggers can use twitter to help build their blogging community. You can check that out here if you want.
Anyway, that led me to Twitter, which though I use I haven’t really gotten hooked on yet. I figured I’d search and see what I found, figuring maybe there would be something I could blog about. I typed “Spiritual film” and low and behold I saw some tweets about the Sun Valley Spiritual Film Festival. I really like their mission statement:
The Sun Valley Spiritual Film Festival is a celebration of human spirituality through film. Given this vision, the mission of the Sun Valley Spiritual Film Festival is to:
- Present films that explore spiritual traditions from around the world, as well as films that cherish the human spirit.
- Encourage the production of new films and documentaries, by providing an event in which these films can be screened.
- Promote discussion among recognized leaders in the fields of arts and spirituality, by presenting interactive discussion panels.
- Offer the public an opportunity to engage with film-makers and spiritual leaders.
- Enhance the public’s understanding of, and respect for, diverse spiritual traditions from around the world.
It caught my eye and it turns out Sun Valley is in Idaho. It’s a shame it’s not a month sooner since I will be spending the summer in Yellowstone National Park and could meander that way. They don’t have this year’s program up yet, but they have an archive of the films they’ve shown in past years. Topics include films on Buddhist prayer, Mother Theresa, Dealing with Cerebral Palsy, the Aftermath of 9/11, Eastern European religious icons, and the comfort of pets to name just a few. If you are in Idaho and feel like checking out some moving pictures, look them up.
The whole foray into twitter and finding this film festival has inspired me to post information about any film festivals I learn of that promote spiritual, religious, or inspirational films. Maybe I’ll even start a twitter account specifically for this blog.